FDA Warning to Arizona Dog Owners: Salmonella Found in These Brands
- The FDA is warning pet owners about salmonella contamination in pet foods
- Certain brands have been affected and are issuing voluntary recalls
- What to do if you purchased a brand of affected dog food
- How to tell if your dog may be suffering from a salmonella infection
FDA Warns Pet Owners of Salmonella Contamination in Dog Foods
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning to pet owners and veterinarians about a voluntary recall of certain dog food products due to salmonella contamination.
- Mid America Pet Food issued a voluntary recall of Victor Super Premium Dog Food
- Blue Ridge Beef began a voluntary recall of Breeders Choice #2 Dog Food
- TFP Nutrition announced a voluntary recall of Retriever Dry Dog Food
- Carolina Prime Pet Inc. is voluntarily recalling Hollywood Feed Jerky Products
What To Do If You've Purchased Any of the Tainted Pet Foods
If you've purchased any of the affected dog food brands, contact the company. You may be able to get a refund. Be sure to destroy the food in a way that prevents access by children, pets, and wildlife.
To be safe, wash and sanitize all pet food bowls, containers, measuring cups, and any surfaces that may have come in contact with the dog food.
Because humans can also get sick from salmonella, anyone who's handled the dog food should thoroughly wash their hands.
Symptoms of Salmonella Infection in Your Dog
If your dog ate any of the tainted food, watch carefully for signs of illness. If she seems excessively tired, has episodes of diarrhea, or any kind of fever or vomiting, contact your veterinarian.
Some dogs only show signs of a decreased appetite, fever, or abdominal pain. An infected but otherwise healthy dog could act as a carrier and end up infecting other animals or humans. If your pet has eaten any of the recalled products, seek advice from your veterinarian as soon as possible.
LOOK: Here Are 30 Foods That Are Poisonous to Dogs
Gallery Credit: Rachel Cavanaugh
Check out these 50 fascinating facts about dogs:
Gallery Credit: Linda Lombardi