Arizona McDonald’s Are Rolling Out Big Changes to Beloved Burgers
- McDonald's announced they'll be making big changes to their burgers
- How the changes will affect the flavor of the burgers
- How the ingredients will be affected
From Humble Beginnings: McDonald's Famous Barbecue
It's hard to imagine a classic staple of the American fast-food landscape ever announcing a change as big as this one. We've indulged in McDonald's classic burgers for nearly a century.
The chain had its nascent beginnings as a barbecue restaurant in the 1930s, according to Wikipedia.org. The soon-to-be fast-food giant had its humble beginnings in Manchester, New Hampshire, later moving operations to Hollywood, California. In the 1940s, they moved once again.
"The McDonald's brothers opened their first McDonald's restaurant on May 15, 1940 in San Bernardino, California."
Since that time, the restaurant has grown to billions and billions served, with locations on every continent around the world.
Two All Beef Patties...
Over the decades, we've seen some changes to the McDonald's menu. Some of the changes were big, like when a whole new food category dropped into the food lexicon.
- The Big Mac was rolled out in the early years, drawing inspiration from the Big Boy chain's signature hamburger.
- The McRib sandwich comes and goes on what seems to be a whim but is an incentive for fans of the sandwich to get it, "while supplies last - for a limited time".
- Chicken McNuggets were introduced in the late 1970s, with Happy Meals hitting the menu board around the same time.
Shrinkflation and the McDonald's Meal
Most of the changes to the food choices are more subtle and not something McDonald's likes to splash around the headlines. Anyone who remembers when the Big Mac was truly BIG, can attest to the shrinkflation that happens "under the hood" of McDonald's food production.
Rather than charge more for food, consumers have observed a noticeable shrinking in size for the famous burgers, buns, food containers, and more. It's a rare day when McDonald's makes improvements to its fare.
Something Big Is Happening to McDonald's Burgers Across Arizona
This may be something to get excited about. McDonald's announced these major changes are coming to its burgers in 2024:
- Burgers will have softer, pillowy, toasted buns.
- The cheese will be 'meltier'.
- Burgers will be juicier.
- Onions will be added to the grill while cooking, lending a caramelized flavor to burgers.
- More Big Mac sauce will be added.
- Dehydrated onions will be rehydrated while cooking on the grill
When will the changes happen across Arizona McDonald's? It's hard to say exactly. Changes have already been rolled out in a few cities on the West Coast, and the nationwide rollout is slated to happen this year.
From coast to coast: The 20 best regional fast-food chains to try
Gallery Credit: Kiersten Hickman
LOOK: Food history from the year you were born
Gallery Credit: Joni Sweet