Walmart’s Plan to Shutter Stores This Year. Will Your Arizona Walmart Close?
- Walmart is planning to close some stores this year.
- At least four stores are in western states.
- Walmart's Store of the Future concept.
Walmart’s Planned Closures in 2024: What You Need to Know
Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, is making changes this year. Some of their locations will be shuttered, but others will get a facelift. Are any of Arizona's 125 stores on the chopping block?
- Walmart announced that it would close four stores in 2024.
- At the time of the announcement, all stores were in California.
- Walmart reports the four affected locations have been underperforming.
- They plan to close two stores in San Diego County, one each in Hialeah Gardens and in El Cajon.
- Current store employees will have a chance to work at other Walmart stores.
Walmart's New Shopping Concept
While the reshuffle will affect a handful of stores, Walmart is also planning to open over 150 new locations over the next five years. Some of the stores in the mix will be renovated, and others will be built from scratch.
- The new and upgraded stores will feature improved layouts, expanded product selections, and what Walmart calls "innovative technology" meant to enhance the shopping experience.
- According to Walmart's CEO John Furner, the new and remodeled stores will reflect Walmart’s Store of the Future concept.
According to the Walmart store directory, there are currently 112 Walmart stores in Arizona. This includes supercenters, neighborhood markets, and fuel stations.
The good news for now, is that none of the Arizona stores are slated to be closed in 2024. However, it's not yet clear if any of them will be among the new or renovated stores.
With Walmart's expansion of other services like online ordering, delivery, and pick-up, it seems clear that Walmart shoppers will see the shopping experience evolve over the next five years.
LOOK: 50 Beloved Retail Chains That No Longer Exist
Gallery Credit: Madison Troyer
KEEP READING: Scroll to see what the big headlines were the year you were born
Gallery Credit: Andrew Lisa